Sunday, April 18, 2010

A'gardening we go!

I spent about 3 hours yesterday digging, pulling weeds and getting dirty. (And just for the record, it took me about 5 minutes longer than usual to get out of bed this morning!)

I started with the small narrow garden directly in front of our apartment. I pulled a gazillion weeds, added 40 lbs of potting soil and repositioned the garden fence.

Photobucket

Then I went to my grandma's house and "stole" (with her permission!) some of her Hens and Chickens. (I don't know what these are really called, if anyone knows, comment and let me know!) I bought this planter at a yard sale about 5 years ago and this is the first time I have ever really used it. Isn't it gorgeous?!

Photobucket

Then I went and bought another 4o lbs of potting soil and started a new flower bed around our tree. I started by laying newspaper around the tree then covered it with potting soil. I will soon place river rocks around the perimeter and fill it with another 20 lbs of potting soil and top it off with a layer of mulch. (Red or Brown Mulch?! I can't decide!)

Photobucket

Now starts the waiting game. Around these parts, the last frost can occur as late as Mid-May. So I will try to contain myself and wait to sew my seeds until at least the first of May. Then I just have to watch the news for any frost warnings.

Happy Gardening!

No comments: