Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Happy Pineapple Upside-Down Cake Day!

I have never baked a Pineapple Upside-Down Cake. Until Today...

I am using Betty Crocker's Recipe straight from the website.
Photobucket

First, run to the grocery store and buy your ingredients!

1/4
cup butter or margarine
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 can (20 oz) pineapple slices in juice, drained, juice reserved
1 jar (6 oz) maraschino cherries without stems, drained
1 box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® yellow cake mix

(Vegetable oil and eggs called for on cake mix box)









Print these coupons...
















About Concordance™





I am using two 9-inch round cake pans for my cake. Use whatever you have!

First, Pre-heat your oven. Melt your butter in the oven in the pan(s). (Be careful here, I almost burned my butter, left it in a smidgen too long!) Then, take your brown sugar and spread it evenly over the butter. Now, my brown sugar was a little moist so it didn't spread so great. I also did not have a whole cup, so my cake will be a little less brown-sugary...


Photobucket

Next, arrange your pineapples (save your pineapple juice!) and cherries in the most cutesy artistic way you can think of. (I wasn't feeling very cutesy today! lol)

Photobucket

Then mix your batter as directed, except, use the remainder of your pineapple juice and add enough water to make 1 1/4 cups. Use this as the water part of the ingredients. Pour the batter over your butter/brown sugar/pineapple/cherry art.

Photobucket

Betty Crocker says to bake for 40-45 minutes, but I am starting at 25 since I am using the round cake pans. I am going to follow the old "bake until a toothpick comes out clean" rule. My cakes started looking done around 17 minutes, but the toothpick was still batter covered when I poked the very middle. They were finally done around 23 minutes.

(sorry I forgot to take a pic, I was too excited for the next step!)

After baking, run a knife around the outside edge to loosen the cake. Grab a heat proof plate and place it over your pan.( This promises to be fun...I am typing this as they are still baking, I will let you know how it goes!) Turn the pan and plate over so that your plate is now on the bottom. (Success!) Leave the pan over the cake for 5 minutes, so your yummy brown sugar will have time to run all over your cake. Remove the pan, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Isn't it beautiful!


Photobucket

Make sure to let me know if you enjoyed a Pineapple Upside-Down Cake today!

No comments: